BULLYING, DISCRIMINATION AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT POLICY
Urban Rec seeks to provide a safe, inclusive and happy environment for our members, staff and participants. Urban Rec has zero tolerance for bullying, discrimination or sexual harassment and urges all incidents to be reported via the below reporting channels.
Urban Rec requires all participants to acknowledge and agree to our Code of Conduct – refer to this policy for an understanding of how aggressive or competitive breaches of our code of conduct may be handled.
Bullying is defined as repeated and unreasonable behavior directed towards a person or group of persons that creates a risk to health and safety. It includes behavior that could be expected to intimidate, offend, degrade, humiliate, undermine or threaten.
Discrimination is defined as the support or practice of discrimination based on race, religion, age, national origin, language, sex, sexual orientation, or mental or physical handicap, whether covered by applicable legislation or not, except where affirmative action may be required to redress individual or social handicaps of people from disadvantaged groups.
Sexual Harassment is defined as any unwelcome sexual advance, unwelcome request for sexual favours, or other unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature which makes a person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated, and where that reaction is reasonable in the circumstances. Examples of sexual harassment include, but are not limited to,
- staring or leering
- unnecessary familiarity, such as deliberately brushing up against you or unwelcome touching
- suggestive comments or jokes
- insults or taunts of a sexual nature
- intrusive questions or statements about your private life
- sending sexually explicit emails or text messages or social network messages
- inappropriate advances on social networking sites
- accessing sexually explicit internet sites
- requests for sex or repeated unwanted requests to go out on dates
- behavior that may also be considered to be an offence under criminal law, such as physical assault, indecent exposure, sexual assault, stalking or obscene communications
Behavior that is based on mutual attraction, friendship and respect is not sexual harassment.
MAKING A COMPLAINT
If you experience any misconduct within the scope of your Urban Rec experience, please report it directly to [email protected]
All complaints will be handled by the Managing Directors of Urban Rec and will be treated as confidential, unless otherwise stated under the governing laws of British Columbia. We understand these topics are sensitive and need to be handled in a professional and appropriate manner.