Coed 6’s Beach Volleyball Rules
Teams will only call fouls committed by their own players. Players will not call the fouls against their opponents. If there is a dispute on a call, re-serve the play. Contact an event coordinator for clarification of rules after match is completed.
All players will conduct themselves in a polite and sportsmanlike manner. Individuals who do not abide by these criteria will be removed from the league.
Please note that teams are required to play within their designated court area when courts are in use. Do not enter an adjacent court to continue play.
All balls must be hit cleanly. No scooping or carrying the ball. Only off of a driven ball may a ball may be double hit (i.e. off arm and head in one continuous motion).
Player contact with the net in any way constitutes loss of point. A player that goes under the net but does not contact the net or interfere with the play is okay.
A served ball may not be blocked or spiked directly back over the net. You may volley a ball on a serve receive.
A block or partial block does not count as one of a team’s 3 hits.
The ball can hit any part of the body.
Both teams are responsible for recording matches won/lost and UR Fun points and submitting the score sheets to the on site Event Coordinator.
For coed 6’s, a complete starting lineup consists of 6 players including a minimum of 2 women and 1 man.
If a team has less than 6 players, the following rules apply:
- If a team has less than 3 players it defaults the match.
- If a team has 3 or more players but does NOT have at least 1 woman and 1 man it is a forfeit.
- If a team has 3 or more players including 2 women and 1 man, the team is eligible to play.
Regular play will consist of 1 match. Matches will be best 2 of 3 (21/21/15) Games are all rally point, win by 2 points, cap at 23 (Cap at 17 in the 3rd match). Matches will be over when a team wins 2 games or time expires. If time expires (signified by the whistle blowing) while teams are playing in the 3rd game, at least 1 of the teams must have at least 5 points for the game to count. If neither team has at least 5 points, then the game does not count in the match results, and the match is reported as a 1-1 draw.
If time expires while teams are playing the 3rd game (the tiebreaker) during regular season matches, at least one of the teams must have reached 5 points for the 3rd game to count. Otherwise the match will be reported as a 1-game-apiece draw.
The format for the playoffs will be as follows:
- each match will be a best-of-3 (21/21/15). The first 2 games will be to 21 points capped at 23, and the 3rd game will be to 15 points capped at 17. If time expires during the 3rd game, whichever team is winning at that point will win the match (no 5-point minimum required)
- if time expires during the 2nd game, then total points scored in the 2 games to that point will determine the winner of the match
- Once a team loses they are out of the running for the championship and they go into the consolation side
Note that the above details are generic Beach Volleyball rules. The rules for each specific league may differ.