Competitive Coed 6 Volleyball- Thurs - Winter 2023 Rules
Coed 6’s RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Teams must have a minimum of 2 players of each gender on the court to play a full line up (a full starting lineup consists of 6 players (either 3/3 or 2/4).
- If a team only has 1 member of either gender, they can play with 3-5 people on the court with a maximum of 4 members of the opposite gender (either 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2).
- The minimum number of players with 1 of either gender is 3 meaning the format would be 2/1.
- If a team has 3 or more players but 0 of a gender they forfeit the match.
- If a team has less than 3 players, it defaults the match.
- Teams have 10 minutes to have the minimuim 3 on the court or they default the match. If a team doesn’t start play within 10 minutes but does have players they automatically lose the first game of the match.
NOTE: if a team consistently attends with less than 6 players their status in the league will be reviewed and they could be asked to leave the league and/or forfeit all games. We are a coed 6 league which means we expect all teams to do their best to arrive with 6 eligible players.
- If there is a dispute on a call, re-serve the play. Ask the Game Supervisor for clarification of rules after the match is completed.
- Regular play:
- 1 hour time slot will consist of 1 match of 4 games per week. (21/21/21/15) Games are all rally point, win by 2 points, cap at 23/23/23/17. Win percentage will be what the standings are based on.
i. If time expires while teams are playing the 4th game, at least one of the teams must have reached 5 points for the game to count. Otherwise only 3 games will be reported . Combined points will not be used during the regular season matches to determine a winner.
- Playoff Format:
i. Each matches will be 3 games (25/25/25).
ii. If time expires during the 3rd game and 5 points has not been reached, then total points scored in the 3 games to that point will determine the winner of the match.
- URO balls must be used unless approval is given by both the GS and opposing team captain.
- A second set of clean court shoes must be worn on the court
- All balls must be hit cleanly. No scooping or carrying the ball. Only off of a driven ball may a ball may be double hit (i.e. off arm and head in one continuous motion).
- Contact with the net in any way constitutes loss of point. A player that goes under the net but does not contact the net, or is not a part of the play is okay.
- A served ball may not be blocked or attacked directly back over the net.
- When a player blocks a driven ball and comes onto their own team’s side the block does not count as a hit towards the three hit limit.
- The ball can hit any part of the body.
- Players may not chase balls into other courts. Yell “BALL” so that players are aware of the danger.